UBS Textbook Rental Return Information
The deadline to return rented textbooks for the current semester is stickered on each book and can be seen in your account at PurdueU.com. Your rented textbook(s) can be returned to University Book Store at any time during the semester at Customer Service. To ensure your book is returned to your account you should have your Student ID number along with the book. All rental textbooks must be returned in resalable condition, with all its parts as per the Textbook Rental Agreement. It is at the discretion of University Book Store what is considered to be resalable condition. Textbooks being returned in non-resalable condition will not be accepted. Students who do not return their rented textbooks by the due date will be charged the full purchase price of the books. If you have any questions regarding textbook rentals see below answers to your FAQ or direct them to Joy@purdueu.com
TEXTBOOK RENTAL AGREEMENT
1. Renter certifies that he/she is at least 18 years of age, is currently enrolled at Purdue University and has read and understands the terms of this agreement.
2. Renter agrees to rent the book(s) listed on the cash register receipt for a single payment of the rent listed and return the same book(s) in clean, lightly marked and fully resalable condition on or before the rental return due date,
3. Renter agrees to allow University Book Store Inc. to charge Renter’s credit card for any current new book replacement cost and fees if the rental book(s) listed are not returned by the rental due date for any reason, including loss or theft, or returned items are not in resalable condition, such as when damaged by liquids (rain, snow, coffee, etc.), chemical spills, or tooth marks, or when missing components or having a damaged spine, or are otherwise damaged and/or deemed not resalable by University Book Store staff.
4. The last day for return of a book for a full refund of rent is the same date that is posted for any textbook purchase return.
5. Rent for books rented after the return date is non-refundable.
6. Renter has 14 days from the first day of a semester to apply the rental payment toward the purchase of the same book. Purchase price will be based on the current retail price.
7. Renter agrees that non-returned and/or damaged items will be billed at the current new replacement cost.
8. Renter agrees to maintain the credit card in good standing throughout the duration of the rental period.
9. All rentals remain the property of University Book Store Inc. while in the renter’s possession.
10. Renter accepts all responsibility for risk of loss from any cause, including theft, lost item(s) or return in non-resalable condition, such as damage caused by liquids (rain, snow, coffee, etc.), chemical spills, tooth marks, missing components or spine damage.
11. Renter agrees to pay any attorney and/or collection fees incurred by University Book Store Inc. to enforce this agreement.
Q: Why would I rent a textbook; what is the benefit?
A: Renting allows you to use it, return it, and be done with it. When you rent a textbook, you will be saving up to 50% off the cost of buying a new book.
Q: How long is the rental period?
A: The full current semester.
Q: What do I need to rent a textbook?
A: You must be at least 18 years of age, have a valid email address, two forms of photo identification (student ID, driver’s license, state ID or passport) and a credit card or debit card with a credit card logo (your credit or debit card must not expire prior to the end of the current textbook rental period). Then you will fill out a Textbook Rental Agreement to open your rental account with us. The agreement will state our policy for textbook rentals and signify your commitment to adhere to our policy and return the textbook(s) by the due date.
Q: Why do you need my credit card information?
A: At the time of purchase you will only be paying the fee to rent the book(s). Your credit card will only be charged in the event you do not return the book(s) by the agreed rental return date or if the book is not in resalable condition.
Q: What if I am not 18; can I still rent a book?
A: To enter into any kind of agreement, such as our Textbook Rental Agreement you must be at least 18 years of age. However, if you are not 18, your parent or legal guardian can open a rental account for you by signing the agreement.
Q: Do I have to sign up for a rental account every semester to rent a textbook?
A: No. As long as your credit card on file is in good standing for the current rental period you will be able to rent textbooks.
Q: How will I be able to tell if the book is rentable?
A: There will be a shelf tag with a price indicating that the book is available for rent or purchase. This information can be found on our website, also.
Q: Can I rent my books from you online?
A: Yes, simply check the Rent option box when applicable.
Q: What if I drop a class; can I get my money back?
A: The return policy for a full refund on a rented textbook is the same as any textbook purchase. The textbook(s) must be returned with a receipt in their original condition by the current semester deadline.
Q: What if I decide I want to buy the book after I have already rented it?
A: You have 14 days from the first day of the semester to convert your rental into a purchase. This can be done at Customer Service. After the 14-day period the book is considered a rental. Your rental fee at that point will be non-refundable and cannot go towards the purchase of the book.
Q: Can I write in my rented textbook(s)?
A: Yes. You may lightly mark in your books with pencil or highlights so long as the marks you make do not compromise the book’s resale-ability.
Q: What if I lost my book?
A: It is your responsibility to take care of the book while it is being rented. If it is lost or stolen you will be charged to replace the textbook(s) at the current replacement cost. Charges to replace the lost or stolen textbook(s) will be on top of the rental fee you already paid at the time of check out.
Q: When do I have to return my textbook(s)?
A: You may turn in your rented textbook(s) at any time throughout the semester. The final return date is listed on your sales receipt, but it will also be the Monday following the end of finals for each semester. Emails will also be sent out the week before finals reminding you know that you have a rented textbook and the deadline for which you have to return it. Please note that University Bookstore Inc. is not responsible if you do not receive these email reminders.
Q: Can I extend my rental past the due date?
A: No. Rental periods are per semester and are due by the due date at the end of each semester. If you think may need a textbook for longer than a single semester, we recommend that you buy it. We offer many titles new or used at competitive prices.
Q: What if I forgot which of my textbooks are rented?
A: We understand that you as a student have a lot going on and keeping track of which textbooks are rented and which are not can be difficult. Should you forget you may contact Joy@purdueu.com and she will be able to tell you.
Q: What if I forget to return my book or I return it late.
A: If the book is not returned by the due date you will be charged for a new book at the current replacement cost in addition to a processing fee. Once you are charged to replace the book that was not returned, the book you rented then becomes your property.
Q: Can I mail back the rented books?
A: You may mail back your rented material to the store, but it must be postmarked no later than the due date. We recommend you get tracking when shipping it. Please communicate to Joy@purdeuU.com that the textbook(s) are being shipped to University Book Store, 360 West State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47906.
Q: Can I sell my rented book back at the end of the semester?
A: No. The rented material is the property of University Book Store.
Q: Will I get money back when I return the textbook(s)?
A: No. You pay a discounted price for renting , then you return the rented material to us.